usability: unplugged ethernet cable on an office desktop

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Tue Aug 15 19:21:07 UTC 2006

David Zeuthen (david at fubar.dk) said:
> > > It uses HAL and PolicyKit so we'll also get out of that "run X11 apps as
> > > root" trap plus once we teach HAL about RAID / LVM we can add options to
> > > g-v-m such as
> > >
> > >  [ ] Assemble RAID arrays when hotplugged
> > >  [ ] Set up Logical Volumes when hotplugged
> >
> > How are you handling partial volumes?
>
> This code is not written yet (patches welcome!) but I suspect you will
> be able to start partly-assembled stuff from g-d-u after clicking a
> warning dialog or two.

No, I mean you'll get disparate events:

- hey, I added hda1!
  - Looks like it might be part of VG <foo>...
- hey, I added hdb1!
  - Looks like it might be part of VG <foo>...
<kernel takes a nap, five seconds later>
- hey, I added hdc1!
  - Looks like it might be part of VG <foo>...

When do you decide to assemble?

Bill