Proposing a switch to Tango

Steven Garrity stevelist at silverorange.com
Wed Feb 22 00:51:49 UTC 2006

David Nielsen wrote:
> I would like to propose replacing the bluecurve icon theme with
> tango[1]. There are a number of good reasons for doing this.
[excellent list of good reasons snipped]

As someone is involved in the Tango project, and a happy Fedora user, I
would love to see this.

I would also like to make it known that if there are perceived hurdles
to the adoption of the Tango icon theme in Fedora, we would like to know
about them so we can fix them!

We're easily accessible on the tango-artists mailing list [1] and in
#tango on freenode. Come ask questions!

Tango is still a young enough project that there is room for Fedora and
its developers to have a significant impact on the nature and direction
of the project. It's a great time to get involved.

Also, Tango is not just an icon set - it is a set of visual style
guidelines. Fedora could be a "Tango-friendly" distribution, share all
of the benefits of being a tango-ified desktop, and still maintain its
own visual identity. For example, key icons can be changed somewhat to
conform to corporate (or "foundational" ;-) identity and yet still
conform to the fundamental Tango visual style guidelines.

Translation: if you hate the folder icon (or any particular icon), relax
- it's not carved in stone.

Another small note - something David didn't include in his fine lists of
reasons to adopt Tango icons: more apps are starting to get Tango-style
icons. This is part of the goal of the project - to great a common
visual base to which application developers can create apps and
application icons that nicely fit in with the rest of the desktop.

For example, Sound Juicer, Cowbell, F-Spot, Desktbar-applet, Diva,
Banshee (and more) are already adopting icons that fit well with the
Tango-style. Having such a key distro as Fedora take on the Tango style
would be a huge incentive for more application developers (and distros)
to do the same.

I can't speak on behalf of the entire Tango project, but as someone
interested and involved in the project, I will do my best to answer
questions/concerns about possible Fedora adoption here on the list.

Cheers,
Steven Garrity