New Fedora GTK Theme

Andrea Cimitan cimi86 at alice.it
Thu Nov 16 14:59:48 UTC 2006

Il giorno Thu, 16 Nov 2006 09:27:27 -0500
Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> ha scritto:

> On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 15:19 +0100, Andrea Cimitan wrote:
> > Il giorno Thu, 16 Nov 2006 09:03:16 -0500
> > Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> ha scritto:
> >
> > > Some more comments before I move on to something else:
> > >
> > > - It would be much more readable to use enumeration and named
> > > values in the rc files rather than cryptic integers:
> > >
> > >         glazestyle = 1 # 0 = flat hilight, 1 = curved hilight, 2 =
> > > concave style
> > >         menubarstyle = 2 # 0 = flat, 1 = glassy, 2 = gradient, 3 =
> > > striped
> > >         menubaritemstyle = 0 # 0 = menuitem look, 1 = button look
> > >         menuitemstyle = 0 # 0 = flat, 1 = glassy, 2 = striped
> > >         listviewheaderstyle = 0 # 0 = flat, 1 = glassy
> > >         roundness = 5 # 0 = squared, 1 = old default, more will
> > > increase roundness
> > >
> > Murrine Configurator is solving this problem.
> > 95% of users use Configurator to Configure their themes, so there's
> > no problem related, and probably it will be a problem makin the
> > opposite. I think that with strings people may write mistakes in
> > typing and integers prevents this.
>
> Honestly, I think you have your numbers wrong here. I'd expect it to
> be more like 1% of users who would ever consider using a tool like
> the configurator. And I disagree with the whole idea of having
> engine-specific configuration tools. If anything, such things should
> be part of a tweakui like tool that can handle multiple theme engines.

I'm referring to the people that *configure* themes... Great part of
them use the configurator, as I see in Forums and where I talk about
murrine. Anyway this is not a crucial problem... Since end-users are
not using "options".
Options are used only by themes-developers, and I think no one of them
might have problems to use numbers instead words (for example in my
tastes i prefer numbers)

> But for discussing a default theme, it is completely irrelevant. The
> default theme must be good as is, no tweaking required.

Options are just a "good" features to themers, beacuse they can
customize their themes how they want.
They are just something "more" that can favourite an engine rather than
the opposite.
Take for example "roundness" option, someone like squared, others
rounded... When a distro like Fedora decided the look they make few
adjustments and the look will appear looking even better than without
options.
And as i remember... there are always default values...

> > Another thing is that with "integer" i can make >= == <=
> > comparations in the engine so i can enable/disable features in a
> > simple way.
>
> well, enum values are also integers when the arrive in the engine...

Yes it can be tweaked easily i think

> > > - While these knobs to tweak are certainly nice, the one thing
> > > that most people want to tweak in a theme are the colors. I would
> > >   personally be much more interested in themes which make use of
> > >   the new symbolic color mechanism in GTK+ 2.10 to create
> > >   "recolorable" themes.
> >
> > When there will be a GUI (i.e. gnome 2.18 will probably features
> > this) then I will certanly manage that improvement, even with you
> > if you know how to manage it in the right way! :)
> >

> Yes, all I'm saying is that since we will have gnome 2.18 in FC7, it
> would be good to consider symbolic colors now when discussing a new
> default theme.

This is not important for a "default" theme since normally people will
never edit default themes of their distro... At least i have never do
it.
It's a nice feature/improvement but i think it's absolutely secondary
than fixing bugs (if there are) and deciding the default "palette" of
the distro.

--
Cimi - Andrea Cimitan
http://cimi.netsons.org