Modern File Hierarchy

Peter Kukums pkukums at ieee.org
Wed Sep 6 23:10:05 UTC 2006

Just my two cents worth.

I think more time should be spent on bits that don't work not bits that
do.

For example, the package update process. I installed Fedora Core 5 on a
new system and I was impressed with how well it worked without much
intervention on my part.

But yesterday I performed an update of all my installed packages and now
I can no longer print to any of my printers (CUPS was updated). How can
beginners possibly cope with something like this?? As part of desktop
usability they would expect what was once working to keep working!! The
update process should be more transparent. And as a beginner I can also
see no easy way of rolling back to a previous working version either!