Kadischi GUI : usability

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Sep 13 21:58:51 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-10 at 13:57 +0200, Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I'm here to seek advice and suggestions on Kadischi's GUI. I have been
> directed by many of you to this list from IRC.
>
> After several GUI ideas I had, finally I chose one.

Maybe one question to ask is whether it makes sense to have a GUI at
all? I mean, looking at your proposed UI, even though I suppose you
tried hard, it contains all sort of information that only experienced
Fedora users truly understands. And these are very likely to be capable
of editing configuration or scripts.

I guess, I'm saying that it's a bit like e.g. system-config-httpd or
system-config-bind - a pretty UI that doesn't really do everything you
want. And if you can make it do the things you want, it's usually much
easier just to edit the files in shell.

For example, what would happen if I'd want to configure other bits than
the ones exposed in the UI? What if I want to make e.g. NetworkManager
default? I'd say, just let users edit a script - that will give them
much more freedom, to e.g. configure the system the way they want it.

This is just what I think, however.

HTH,
David