A better, faster desktop search for Linux!

Russell Harrison rtlm10 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 18:28:36 UTC 2007

On 4/11/07, David Nielsen <david at lovesunix.net> wrote:

> You have been able to do: yum install tracker for ages. Not that Tracker
> is up to par feature wise with Beagle yet so I really doubt the hype
> surrounding Tracker.

Tracker simply doesn't support as many file formats as Beagle.  As far as
speed and footprint however it blows the doors off Beagle.  When I disable
all the backends that tracker doesn't support in Beagle, it still can't come
near the speeds Tracker has.  I really hope more people start giving Tracker
so attention so it can support the same number of formats.  As soon as email
indexing is out in a stable version I'll be turning off Beagle entirely.
Right now I'm running both.  :-/

----
Russell Harrison
Systems Administrator -- Linux Desktops