Why is Fedora a multimedia disaster? - Here is why.

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Apr 18 00:11:37 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 17 April 2007 18:54:09 Rick Stuart wrote:
> I feel like the real concern voiced by Valent Turkovic has been missed
> by all three of the responses I saw.  What are we expecting the average
> Joe who wants to try out this cool new thing called Linux to feel?  He
> can load it up and see a pretty twisty graphic but then can't get the
> simplest thing like web browsing to work without installing a lot of
> extra packages that are only obvious by a long Google search, abuse on
> the forums (RTFM) or a previous experience.
>
> If you are going to build a live CD (Excellent Idea by the way) for
> people to try out Linux, then concentrate on the total experience.  Look
> at what "typical" users do and make sure they have success.  Valent hit
> the nail on the head....KDE...GNOME....why should that matter?  GNOME
> doesn't work any better with Totem BTW.

These comments are unfounded.  You certainly can browse the web all you want.
If you run across a site that needs flash, firefix helpfully directs you to
Adobe/macromedia where they have a rpm already for you that integrates
nicely.  And there is _plenty_ of web space out there without proprietary
crap on them.  To state that you can't do the simplest things like web
browsing is a bunch of horse crap and FUD.

Furthermore, Totem works just fine regardless of Gnome or KDE, the OP didn't
_use_ totem.  If you're going to send slanderous comments at least have the
courtesy of backing them up with facts, proof, and bug numbers.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora