f8 desktop livecd

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Aug 7 18:05:27 UTC 2007

> Jeff Spaleta (jspaleta at gmail.com) said:
> > On 8/2/07, Caolan McNamara <caolanm at redhat.com> wrote:
> > > Most companies have the luxury of a formal or informal big 7 or big 12
> > > language policy, and e.g. Dzongkha and Irish can forget about being
> > > supported. I guess the ideal solution for something like fedora would be
> > > a set of regional cds, though I'm not enthusiastic about actually
> > > contributing constructively and doing the work :-)
> >
> > Are all the translations broken out into subpackages in sane way
> > across the distro?
>
> For OO.o and KDE, they are split. For other packages, they are not.
> Whether to split or not is a long, drawn-out conversation. (Basically,
> you make building liveCDs easier at the cost of making all languages
> Just Work much harder.)

%{lang} tagging is simple enough to take advantage of with the live
images if we want.  Just needs a) way to specify it (return of
langsupport!) and b) then actually setting the rpm macro.

You're kind of screwed if you ever want to add more translations, but
that is a tradeoff that could be made.  But the discussion about that is
going on in a different thread too :-)

Jeremy