low-hanging fruit

Ray Strode rstrode at redhat.com
Wed Aug 22 14:50:26 UTC 2007

Hi,

> I do think it's important for something like PackageKit to return
> maximally descriptive error messages to the user; I was quite
> concerned when I saw Richard post that everything had to be turned
> into an error enum in PackageKit so that the translation could be done
> in the front end. I think that's just wrong, and you always want error
> message *strings* to be part of the system, translated at the source
> when applicable.
This is kind of a side point (but then again PackageKit isn't anywhere
near done, yet, so this entire sub-thread is pretty much a side point
for a low-hanging fruit thread), but while I agree translated strings
should come from the source, it's important to realize that the system
language isn't the same as the session language in many cases.

What I'm saying is, the daemon should be sending msgid's and translation
domains up (in the gettext sense), instead of translated msgstr's or
there should be some protocol to send the locale down before translated
strings get sent up.

--Ray