PackageKit Misconceptions

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Wed Aug 22 18:29:39 UTC 2007

> On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:02:47 -0400
> David Zeuthen <davidz at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > To me, that's totally not what Colin is suggesting. In fact, there are
> > things in his mail that actually suggests to *improve* security such
> > as replacing, IMO, useless dialogs like "Import this GPG key:
> > <hexnumber>" to something more useful (his proposal about timeouts).
> > See also my other mail about asking better questions like "Import
> > this GPG key: <hexnumber>".
>
> I got from it that he just wants to do away with the question
> entirely.  I'm having a hard time figuring out where you guys want to
> go.  In one hand you say you don't want dialogs at all that ask people
> to think or even respond, it just does things.  On the other you say as
> soon as you allow installing software that is outside of the repos we
> ship, the jig is up and we shouldn't care about any sort of security
> form that point on.  I'm lost :(

That's not how I read the thread. Basically

 - We should include Fedora GPG keys by default. See
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-desktop-list/2007-August/msg00285.html
   why this is a good idea.

 - Have some dialogs that are actually *useful* when you try to install
   software that comes from outside Fedora. See
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-desktop-list/2007-August/msg00274.html
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-desktop-list/2007-August/msg00279.html
   for some ideas.

Is it more clear now?