PackageKit Misconceptions

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Wed Aug 22 23:53:58 UTC 2007

On 8/22/07, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/22/07, Owen Taylor <otaylor at redhat.com> wrote:
> > So you wouldn't be endorsing Joe Smith's Package Repository at all,
>
> Putting aside the debate of popularity != safety for the time being....
>
> We don't have to "endorse" to run afoul of legal issues. Merely
> helping users compile a list of any 3rd party repositories is
> potentially off-limits.
> Can you point to anything we are doing right now, where we make any
> effort at all to comprehensively list 3rd party repositories inside
> the official fedora project space.. even in the wiki.. even without
> using urls? My understanding is that we aren't even allowed to do
> that.

OK, so store everything indexed by one-way hash of a repo GUID, so
there is no way of mapping back from what is on the server to the 3rd
party repository at all, even if you have access to the raw data files
on our server...

I'm sure we can work with legal to come up with something acceptable.

- Owen