metacity compositor in rawhide

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Wed Dec 19 17:33:07 UTC 2007

Hi,

Jon Nettleton wrote:

> That is great to hear.  I have been holding off submitting my patches
> upstream until this happened.  Here is the list if anyone wants to give
> input.  Some of them are very similar to what xfwm4 already has.
>
> 1)  User configurable transparencies for windows when moved, and also
> drop down menus.
> 2)  Drag and drop "windows" also become translucent.  It was brought up
> on IRC that cursors are already ARGB, so can theoretically be
> transparent causing a problem.  I think this is a setting that should be
> desktop-wide, so I prefer having it in the window manager.  I am open
> for discussion on this.  I just like being able to grab a bunch of text
> or large icon and actually see where I am dropping it.
> 3)  Changes to the metacity capplet that also includes a checkbox to
> turn on compositing.
> 4)  Unredirected fullscreen overlays.  I know this should be handled
> with the new Xorg stuff.  I haven't followed up how far along the new
> memory management code is.
>
> I understand this should also be brought up with the metacity team, and
> it will be.

Don't be shy on this - bugzilla or metacity-devel is fine.

A thought, I imagine the bias will be toward putting the detailed tuning
of visual effects in the theme rather than in gconf. A direction you
might consider.

If we see tuning visual effects as something end users want to do with a
GUI, a theme editor might be a nice way to go on that.

For turning on compositing, perhaps that should be in the "desktop
effects" dialog that Fedora has now?

Remember that in the UI, there is no metacity, or metacity capplet. The
metacity prefs are spread over a number of control panels (Theme,
Keyboard Shortcuts, Windows). The fact that metacity implements these
prefs is not supposed to be something users have to worry about. In fact
the words "metacity" and "window manager" are never in the UI at all (or
if they are, it's a bug).

Havoc