How to remove some mounted partition icons?

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Mon Dec 31 05:01:46 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 19:35 -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Dec 30, 2007 7:14 PM, David Zeuthen <davidz at redhat.com> wrote:
> >  2. Tell such users to use comment=hidden in /etc/fstab entries for
> >     such drives and make gvfs honor this so a mount point is hidden
> >     if it matches such an /etc/fstab entry.
> >
> > Since this affects only the kind of people who have > 1 Linux distro
> > installed (for dual- or tripple-booting with Windows and Mac OS X you
> > actually want this. IMO ditto for dual booting with other Linux
> > installations but apparently others don't think so), I think we should
> > go for 2. Alex?
>
> Is hiding all things defined in fstab not sufficient?

Don't think so and no need to make that assumption.

> Do we need a a
> new comment=hidden syntax?

The comment option is not exactly new: man 5 fstab

> Are there reasonable usage cases where you
> want things which are defined in fstab to be displayed in the user UI?

Yes. One example is the use of persistent device names (e.g. the device
links /dev/disk/by-*) to specify mount options that unprivileged
wouldn't be allowed to specify themselves (e.g. 'dev' or 'suid') or to
force a mount point outside /media.

>  I would have thought anything listed in fstab would be preferred to
> be hidable in the general case.

Then you'd just get complaints from people who disagree with that.
Everyone's a critic.

     David