Polishing stuff - gnome-filesystem package

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Sun Feb 18 17:34:27 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-18 at 12:27 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-02-18 at 12:19 -0500, Ray Strode wrote:
> > Hi,
> > > So someone last week brought forward the idea of a gnome-filesystem
> > > package that put files in /etc/skel. This package would provide
> > >
> > >  /etc/skel/Documents
> > >            Downloads
> > >            Music
> > >            Pictures
> > >            Public
> > >
> > It should also own common other gnome directories like
> > /usr/share/gnome/help,
> > etc. and include a .gtk-bookmarks file, too, so these premade folders
> > make it into the file chooser.
>
> Slight problem is that we have no framework for translatable bookmarks.
> Nautilus and GTK+ just assume that the bookmarks are in the preferred
> language.

Well, if problem 3. is solved in gnome-vfs, e.g.

 char *gnome_vfs_get_localized_name_for_folder (const char *path)

the I'm not sure it's hard to fix the gnome-vfs back-end of the
filechooser. Wouldn't that work? Or are GTK+ bookmarks used elsewhere
too?

Also, even if we don't solve problem 3. until Fedora 8 I still think we
should do this. It's not like apps aren't hardcoding folders today..

     David