Polishing stuff - gnome-filesystem package

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Mon Feb 19 10:55:30 UTC 2007

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007, David Nielsen wrote:
> søn, 18 02 2007 kl. 12:34 -0500, skrev David Zeuthen:
>>
>> Also, even if we don't solve problem 3. until Fedora 8 I still think we
>> should do this. It's not like apps aren't hardcoding folders today..
>
> Some of them are.. f-spot for one hardcodes ~/Photos much to my
> annoyance because I have a setup entirely in Danish and it makes kittens
> cry every time I see that one folder.. please think of the kittens.

Some apps hardcoding folder names doesn't make it a good idea that should
be copied everywhere.

I don't see anything harmful in prepopulating new users home directories
with some clues how you might want to organize your data, it might be
helpful to a computer-illiterate. Just as long as you don't *force* those
directories to be used (in other words, things don't break if you remove
them and use what you want to use)

And no, I don't use F-Spot. I'm not going to change my >10 year old
home directory structure just because some new application thinks it knows
better than me.

 	- Panu -