Polishing stuff - gnome-filesystem package

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Mon Feb 19 14:41:08 UTC 2007

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007, Nils Philippsen wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 12:55 +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:

>>> Some of them are.. f-spot for one hardcodes ~/Photos much to my
>>> annoyance because I have a setup entirely in Danish and it makes kittens
>>> cry every time I see that one folder.. please think of the kittens.
>>
>> Some apps hardcoding folder names doesn't make it a good idea that should
>> be copied everywhere.
>
> +1
>
> If apps would like to open certain directories for e.g. photos, this
> could easily be defined as a /desktop/gnome/foldernames/photos gconf
> key. This would let us we-have-lived-well-with-this-layout-for-years
> types point these apps to the directories we use.

Amen. Having a central place to tell the system "my photo/music/etc
collection is here" and have all the relevant applications honor that
would actually be very nice. Assuming there's a way to set them through
application preferences or such, having to resort to gconf-editor to tune
such things is not ok :)

Much like having a central place to configure http proxy would be nice
(would be, because major applications like firefox don't honor gnome
settings :-/ )

 	- Panu -