Fedora 8 Boot Process

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Mon Jul 23 02:36:20 UTC 2007

Brian Tate escribió:
> I was reading the feature list for Fedora 8 and was disappointed when
> I came across the "Better Startup Experience".
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureBetterStartup
>
> After reading the "Plan for improvement" section, I find it
> discomforting such a major change will be done to the existing very
> working/stable rhgb boot process.
>
> 1) Do away with the grub menu by default
>    Why? That is the first question that came to mind. A large number
> of linux users dual-boot multiple OSes. It also is useful when you
> have multiple kernel versions installed; if you set the time-out to 3
> seconds do you really notice it?

I couldn't agree more with you on this... However...
> 2) Switch to graphical Mode in initrd, draw an animation....
>    I have an animation now in rhgb, and as a bonus I can see all my
> services loading if I hit the "more" button. I trust this feature will
> not go away?

Ever heard of Linux BootSplash? Is way better than RHGB in that
BootSplash (upon which I'm assuming they're basing this) does not
require to launch an early Xserver (in other words, it consumes quite a
bit of resources to do that and can't be done as soon as the kernel is
loaded, where as BootSplash can, as it is part of the kernel image).
> 3) rhgb goes away
>    ?reinvent the wheel?

Nope, improve upon it. RHGB was regarded by many back in the days of
Fedora Core 2 as the worst idea for a graphical boot for Linux, as the
Linux console already supported high resolution framebuffer images...
Just out of curiosity, try passing the kernel the argument "vga=792"
(without the quotes) on your next boot and see what happens ;-). Work on
projects such BootSplash started even back in the days of Red Hat 9, but
never got really stable. Some projects started to use it (Slackware,
SuSE, Gentoo, etc). BootSplash had a function which could represent two
modes, pretty much the same as what you see happens within RHGB right
now. By means of pressing F12 you can see the boot process just like
before, and it is even possible to switch to it if a problem occurs
during boot up (a service taking too long to load, a service failing to
start, a hard disk check, etc). This was the way to go from the
beginning, I was actually surprised that RHGB lingered for so long!