Fedora 8 Boot Process

Brian Tate btatehome at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 00:16:57 UTC 2007

To Jeremy and Gian-

Well that's good.. after reading your posts I am comforted to know the
boot process isn't going out the window. I guess I was just worried that
I'd be stuck using text-only mode for the functionality I enjoy now.
Because I know having fancy graphics chipset drivers load on the boot
for good effects will work on older cards, I know it probably won't work
for cards that are new and have limited x11 driver support. So it'd be
nice for those cards to be able to fall back to the existing boot
process rather then all the way to text-only mode.

I am still unclear on what you intend to do to the grub boot process.
are you going to merge the new boot animation so that
grub/kernel/service loading is all under one status screen? It
definitely shouldn't be a hassle for a user to get to this menu.

All in all, It'd be nice to see that page have better explanations of
the project's goals. Things like "there should be no text messages"
should be elaborated; so users like me who joined the mailing list after
the said discussion on this new boot process actually know what is going
on.

Thanks for elaborating on the projects goals.

Brian