F8 desktop features

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Jul 27 17:19:36 UTC 2007

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 13:12:40 -0400
Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:

> Well, it is really just the version checklist you see when the release
> goes out: comes with the latest Gnome, X, KDE, ...
> I assume that list is assembled anyway, without tracking every single
> new version as a feature, with all the added overhead that it entails.

Again I think you underestimate how "cool" this will seem to people,
they get their beryl like stuff with compiz.  This is not
insignificant.  This is not just a version tick unless that's all you
say about it.  Ho hum, we have version 3 of blah.  Big whoop.  But if
version 3 brings out Cool New Thing bar and baz and bang, that's FAR
more exciting to talk about.

> And I really don't think FESCO need to vote on compiz-fusion as an F8
> feature.

Are we doing anything at all to our 'enable desktop effects' menu
because of this?  Do we have to coordinate with say the removal of
beryl?  Are there any config changes people will have to make (they
want to keep their working beryl config but use it with -fusion?)  Will
the end user notice something?  These are the types of things we want
to list Features for, and yes, being a Feature comes with the small
price tag of needing a FESCo rubber stamp, but that's really really not
hard to do at all, and not really a big deal for FESCo to do this.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora