Plans for the desktop beyond Fedora 7

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Tue May 8 16:18:54 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 17:32 +0200, Robert M. Albrecht wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >> - enable Gnomes NFS browsing (network places), in F7 only smb-browsing
> >> seems to be enabled.
>
> Gnomes user manual shows screenshots and descriptions of browsing the
> network places "Windows computers" and "Unix computers".
>
> I only see Windows computers. I tried to fiddle around in gnome-vfs
> config-files, ... but I never got nfs-browsing to work.

That's because the module isn't built by default, because the person
that wrote it knows that it contains data corruption bugs. It's broken,
NFS is broken.

> >> - enhancing the gui for extended keyboards
>
> Most keyboards and laptop do have extra keys fort starting applications
> or changing the speaker-volume.
>
> Getting them to work is, in my opinion, non-obvious and sure to
> complicated to an average user.

Go to the keyboard shortcuts, assign keys, it works. And if it doesn't,
it's a bug somewhere, and you should file a bug.

Not sure what's complicated about it (although, when the keyboard is
detectable, and a keymap exists, it would be nice if it selected the
keymap automatically...)