fedora 6/7 - why do you ignore k3b by default?

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Wed May 16 08:45:57 UTC 2007

On 5/15/07, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro> wrote:
> Valent Turkovic wrote:
> > Why isn't the best burning software on by default on new fedora 6/7
> > installations?
> >
> > Is there some particular reason? I see k3b as the best cd/dvd burning
> > app and it should be installed by default IMHO.
>
> I see this form the opposite direction: I would like to drop K3B for
> good for my personal use, as it is *the only* desktop application I have
> using *the other* toolkit (and it does not integrate well with the rest

I installed k3b on my gnome desktop after and some kde dependencies
got also installed. so what?!? is that a bad thing?!? Users don't care
which toolkit an app uses - when they can use it and it works.

And all the hard work KDE and Gnome people are doing to make the usage
of mixed apps the most pleasant experience possible should not be
dismissed.

> of the desktop, is very slow to start etc.). note: my main usage

Ok, 3 seconds it too much time to wait :) Then switch to windows, they
boot much faster than linux :) Speed is not a sane argument here for
me.

> scenario in using K3B is to write multisession  disks, feature not
> available in nautilus-burn.

I use it all the time, ISO burning the most, making cd and dvd
compilations of multimedia... etc... formating DVD-RW and DVD+RW's...

> In some case the default choice in the Fedora desktop is the easiest to
> use and/or the most integrated solution, this is why Nautilus-burn is
> the recommended way to burn disks and on the same thinking, a gtk

For basic burning it is ok, but most users need more. Trust me I know
users habits.

> Bittorent client is preferred to Azureus (and I agree here, with a
> strong personal liking for Transmission and maybe Deluge).
>
> Of course, the rule is not always true, as Firefox is preferred to
> Epiphany, and examples can continue on both sides.

Firefox is a great example and also is OpenOffice on KDE where it
feels a bit misplaced but is needed still.