fedora 6/7 - why do you ignore k3b by default?

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Wed May 16 10:27:25 UTC 2007

On 5/16/07, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro> wrote:
> Valent Turkovic wrote:
> >
> > I installed k3b on my gnome desktop after and some kde dependencies
> > got also installed. so what?!? is that a bad thing?!? Users don't care
>
> Yes, wasted space is a bad thing:
> - on the media space is important, the liveCD had already to leave out
> useful applications due to space constraints;

I didn't mention livecd. I'm talking about dvd installation.

> - for an online install there is much more to download;

Well until they invent quantum data transfer and you have everything
installed before you finish your thought about installing it.

For every app there is an package that needs to be installed - that is
obvious and shouldn't even be mentioned.

> - more libraries will require  more updates to be downloaded and
> installed in the future;

I'm very active in pushing deltarpm - if you really wan't to make a
real change then get involved in presto yum plugin project.

> - how about machines with a limited amount of RAM?

If somebody can run gnome or kde deskop I can bet you that it can run k3b.

> > which toolkit an app uses - when they can use it and it works.
>
> I detailed in another message why users care. Well, maybe not the users
> coming from Windows, where almost every application has its own
> incompatible look and feel...

Have you been to real world recently? I suggest you walk around and
look at other peoples desktops - and count how much of them are in
mixed mode - KDE desktop + gnome apps or Gnome desktiops + KDE apps.

Then tell me who uses only Gnome desktop and not a single app that
uses qt widget set or vice versa. I can bet you won't find any.

> > Ok, 3 seconds it too much time to wait :) Then switch to windows, they
> > boot much faster than linux :) Speed is not a sane argument here for
> > me.
>
> GnomeBaker is much faster to start (because the libraries are already in
> memory).

I answered this in previous message - it is not because of libraries -
please get to know how k3b works before you send such false
information.

I have kde libraries loaded because I have krusader or some other kde
app already running and it is still slower to start k3b - but only a
second slower, and that is because k3b checks the system and
configuration - NOT because of libraries need to load.

> > I use it all the time, ISO burning the most, making cd and dvd
> > compilations of multimedia... etc... formating DVD-RW and DVD+RW's...
>
> I believe you know about ISO burning with a right-click directly from
> Nautilus.

And I believe you know that nautilus doesn't have md5 calculator on
it's right click integrated with the ISO burning.
I know why I use k3b over nautilus.

> >> Of course, the rule is not always true, as Firefox is preferred to
> >> Epiphany, and examples can continue on both sides.
> >
> > Firefox is a great example and also is OpenOffice on KDE where it
> > feels a bit misplaced but is needed still.
>
> I see quite a lot of KDE users preferring Konqueror instead of Firefox
> and OpenOffice.org was kicked out of the LiveCD because is too large.

Great - one single most important app on the whole linux desktop and
it is not on livecd - I really strongly believe that it is a really
huge mistake. Ubuntu in then clearly a much much better live CD then
IMHO - because if you wan't to present a "linux desktio" via LiveCD
how would you do it without OpenOffice? What would you say to
potentianl users - "You know there is this great office suite but we
deleted it of the cd - but trust us it is great!" :)

And again I wasn't aware I was talking about live-cd.