fedora 6/7 - why do you ignore k3b by default?

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Wed May 16 17:53:07 UTC 2007

On 5/16/07, Keith Sharp <kms at passback.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 12:10 +0200, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> > >Its Open/Save dialogs
> > > look strange and do not include the bookmarks available in all other
> > > applications, the order of "OK"/"Cancel" buttons in dialogs is
> > weird,
> > > the menu structure is bad (instead of Edit > Preferences it have
> > > Settings). I could go with this more and more
> >
> > Come on, are you really serious?
> > Almost every app has differently places some buttons or menu... Try
> > using some really different app like gaim ie. pidgin - what would you
> > say to that app?
>
> The whole point of the GNOME HIG is so that all core GNOME applications
> are consistent in look and feel.  GAIM/Pidgin is not a core GNOME
> application and makes little effort to follow the HIG, however if you
> look at the UI for Gossip you will see an IM client that integrates far
> better with GNOME.

I haven't used gossip more that 6 months so in order to be up-to-date
I just installed it.

I don't see any better integration from gossip with Gnome in any case
- I would say that they are both nicely integrated with Gnome desktop.
Second thing is feature wise you can't even compare the two. Gossip is
jabber client and gaim is general IM client. I use ICQ, jabber and
other IM protocols. Gossip can't do anything beside jabber protocol.
Plus gossip crashed 4-5 times before it connected to our local network
jabber server!!! Gaim is much more stable! I prefer stability and
features of gaim any time over gossip's "Gnome HIG compatibillity" and
better "Gnome integration" - especially because gaim integrates great
with the gnome desktop.

> One of the reasons that Apple has been praised for its desktop is
> because of the ruthless application of their HIG to all parts of the
> system.  This means that the learning curve for new users is
> significantly lower.

Ok.
How many apps does apple have on a default OSX fresh installed
desktop? I would say 100%. And when users customize the desktop I
would dare to say that there is still 50% of Apple apps on average
desktop and 50% of other software developers.

How many apps are Gnome apps on default Fedora install? They probably
all are gtk based but probably less than 30% are gnome.
When users customize their desktops I guess this number falls drastically...

Gnome can only apply it's HIG to it's apps and hope others do the
same. But even with HIG there are some nonsenses in gnome like not
being able to alt-tab when dragging a file with a mouse - why?!?

So you can't expect Fedora to be in the same class as apple because
Fedora doesn't make any of the core apps for "Fedora desktop" - also
is also true for Gnome and KDE teams because they don't make Firefox
and OpenOffice...

Valent.