will there be a "cd/dvd burning application" in Fedora 7?

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Fri May 18 09:07:34 UTC 2007

On 5/18/07, Bastien Nocera <bnocera at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-05-18 at 10:17 +0200, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> > Will there be a "cd/dvd burning application" in Fedora 7?
>
> There's nautilus-cd-burner

Nope there is not. Not in my "Application" menu.

> > I don't see any "cd/dvd burning application" in gnome menu after a
> > clean Fedora 7 test 4 install. Why is that?
>
> There is, it's nautilus-cd-burner

I say again, there is not on my default Fedora 7 test 4 install.

> > I know nautilus has burning functionality - but usability wise it is
> > terrible located and I can bet that no standard user will ever find
> > it.
>
> Ha! So why the rethorical questions?

No it is not. It was a claim.
In my application menu under gnome there is not any item called "cd
burner" or nautilus cd burner... nothing.

> > Don't you do usability testing? Put a your mum, dad or some fiends and
> > ask them do try and burn a dvd or cd... and watch what they do.
>
> Please avoid flamebaits.

I'm not throwing flamebaits. I would like you to picture yourselves as
a new user who just installed his shiny new fedora 7 linux desktiop
and wan't to burn some files to a cd or a dvd. This user called Pero
has no idea that nautilus has burning option and concludes that this
linux thing has no cd/dvd burning app installed.

> If nautilus-cd-burner doesn't have a good interface, please write down
> the use cases, and explain the current workflow, then we can try to
> enhance it, and make it better for mum, dad and the friends.

I don't plan to. I would like to see k3b or at least brasero installed
by default on fedora desktops because you can't do anything but basic
burning with nautilus - and that is just confusing.

In current scenario you say to users use nautilus if you have simple
burning tasks, and if you have anything more complex install some
burning app and use that.

And I can say that people I talked to, who are medium-advanced users
from windows side just don't trust nautilus-burn or don't like it.
Even if they need to burn just one file - the task nautilus-burn does
perfectly - they still won't use it.

If your plan it to make Fedora desktop more accessible to
windows-switcher this argument is  not you should be ignoring.

I can argure that it is much better to say to users (by having it
installed by default) - go and use k3b as it can do anything you can
think off to a dvd or cd. In this case users use only one app  - and
get familiar with it from the start and don't have us use one in the
beginning and then switch to using another when nautilus-burn outgrows
their needs.

If you are too strict on k3b being a qt app then use brasero instead -
but use one at least.