early-gdm redux ( I am sorry my way is better faster... for a desktop )

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 16:36:37 UTC 2007

On 9/14/07, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
> (¹) -- No, I'm don't have a problem with calling a decision of mine
> "totally stupid" (I sometimes do myself). But I think it's not helpful
> when done in public.
>
> IOW: This IMHO is just another occurrence that confirms by impression
> that "the tone on the fedora lists IMHO gets worse and worse" (²) --
> that's IMHO bad as it might be deterring to new developers or lurkers on
> the list that might fear hard words more then we do.

I think i this case we can put the blame completely on Jeremy. So its
perfectly fair to say that Jeremy was totally stupid.... and  you were
just an innocent victim of his masterful power of persuasion.
Speaking of which, I'm going to be pitching a comedy spin-off of Heros
to NBC, which has stories for not-so-dramatic superpower storylines
with Jeremy's badly applied superhuman power of persuasion will be the
season opener!

> /me always wonders if people on a party or a conference would go to the
> podium and say "foo is totally stupid" if the chance that the one that
> is responsible for "foo" is in the auditorium

Actually a statement like that to open up a conference presentation is
a great way to have the audience pay attention. That would definitely
be a memorable presentation:
"Hey did you see the youtube video of Jef's presentation where he
totally went crazy and called the xrandr developers idiots?"
  "Yeah!"
"Dude, what an jackass."
  "Yeah"
"He was like foaming at the mouth and stuff."
  "Didn't Jef make that video in his parent's basement?"
"Looks like it"
  "Jackass"

I think people on the lists communicate by and large exactly how they
would communicate in any established small working group settings...
say for example  the 4th lab group assignment in a college course. Not
the first assignment, at the beginning of the class when people don't
really know each other yet. But the fourth assignment, after the group
members have pretty much gained an intuitive feel for the personality
quirks of the rest of the group.  Except on the lists, you're
interacting with people you haven't actually had enough face-to-face
time with to get an accurate intuitive feel for them so its much
easier to cross the line from passionated impersonal discussion into
personal offense without ever knowing you crossed it.

-jef