Online Desktop run-through

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Wed Apr 2 20:58:45 UTC 2008

I spent some time running through initial login to the online desktop
session with a clean account and the current Fedora 9 packages. Here are
my notes about what went wrong or could be improved.

I double starred the stuff that I think is at the top of what we should
fix immediately.

If you are going to work on something, follow up here. (I'll make
sure that important stuff from the residual gets filed in bugzilla
and post bug links here.)

- Owen

 * When Firefox was started, it came up with two tabs, both with the
   Fedora start page

 * It seemed a little less than obvious that you should click on
   the "Enable Online Desktop" link to proceed, especially with the
   browser window sitting there. There wasn't a clear flow that
   enabling the online desktop was the *first* step.

** Bigboard was configured to use the default "Milky" theme rather than
   the Fedora theme.

 * When I did click on "enable the online desktop", I then had *three*
   browser tabs

 * After going to my mail, and clicking on the link, I had *four*
   browser tabs.

 * Mugshot stacker was started (because it was installed on the system)
   and showed a stack with an initial share about "setup your account"
   even though I hadn't enabled Mugshot.

 * When I changed my name on the account tab, the window title didn't
   update to match, as it would if I reloaded the page.

 * If I chose to enable Mugshot from my account page, I got taken to
   the login dialog with (at the bottom)

     "You can login with your _online.gnome.org_ account"

   The link there is actually a weird trap because it implies you can
   follow that link to log in, then you end up back where you are
   already logged in. (Need to do the discussed login-link URL's
   from the online.gnome.org account page.)

** The desktop data engine didn't pick up my login until I manually
   restarted it. I think this was because I didn't have a Firefox
   profile at all (or even a .mozilla dir) when I started the
   desktop-data-engine, so it couldn't establish an inotify watch.

** A "GNOME Online" person appeared in the People stock.

 * There was no obvious way to add more people to the people stock.
   If there are no online.g.o contacts, a minimal thing would be to
   have a button to launch Pidgin.

** People stock slideouts got a bright red header in the Milky theme
   (theme bug causing the header not to be drawn themed.)

 * Clicking on "Enable application tracking" opened another browser
   tab, with another copy of my account dialog.

 * None of the text in explaining what this "application tracking"
   thing referred to the benefits I got for the online desktop.
   We really need to turn on application tracking *by default* when
   you create an account through this path.

** /applications-learnmore was all centered, as is the top text
  on /applications when tracking is not enabled.

 * Hard to find out how to add more stocks to the bigboard

 * The two start page were eating 5% cpu showing their anim GIFs.

 * Sidebar Preferences should put a border around the preview images -
   they look funny blending into the background.

** I got fooled when trying to add a stock to the sidebar by
   the "Add to sidebar" button next to the google gadget link entry.
   Unless we fix the google gadget stuff very soon, we should just
   remove it from the F9 packages.

 * Apps stock should be labelled "Applications" not "Apps"?

 * In the Apps browser, selecting an application (which shows the
   profile to the left) should also highlight the selected app,
   since otherwise you don't feel you have good click-feedback.
   Same for the People browser

 * Very hard to switch the online desktop to a different user, since
   the logout link on the web doesn't actually log the d-d-m out.
   (Send a "Recheck" headline message over XMPP.)

** Logging into GMail in mail stock:
   - Should show Connecting... between the point where you apply
     a new password and it succeeds or fails
   - In the case of failure, should be button or link to get
     back to the point of logging in again, instead of having
     to navigate back through sidebar preferences.