Soundcards Race Condition

Carsten Breuer CarstenBreuerFDDesk at textwork.de
Fri Apr 11 20:37:19 UTC 2008

Hi all,

i have three soundcards on my computer
(one internal, 2 usb) running under FC8.
I use this to run two mpd's (music player daemon)
on the two USB-Soundcards.

The soundcards in my system makes a great race
during startup and you can never predict which one wins.

Since the setup defines an index of the internal
motherboard card in /etc/modprobe.conf, this card
is not available anymore if the USB-Soundcards
are detected first.

In my opinion this is a bad behavior of fedora core.
Users should be able to decide which id which
soundcard get. Of cource, you can write udev
rules for that, but IMO this is the job of fedora.

Why don't we delay the start of the soundcards until
all interfaces are enumerated? If this is done
immediately before running rc.local, everything
would be fine and there are no race conditions
any more. This would also make sure that
a soundcard doesn't disappear because
the given index is used by another card.

Best Regards,

Carsten