GNOME 2.24 feature

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 08:30:17 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 10:48 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Peter Gordon wrote:
> >
> > In an effort to help expedite this and increase testing for the Beta
> > freeze coming up soon, I've changed comps to reflect the
> > Pidgin-->Empathy change. (Empathy is now the default with Pidgin as an
> > optional item, instead of vice-versa.)
>
> And Haze will also be installed by default? For _me_, Empathy is
> *completely useless* without the additional protocols from Haze.
>
> BTW, I find it weird to install Empathy and then add a plugin (Haze) to
> make it work with the Pidgin's core (purple) instead of the simple
> solution of just staying with Pidgin.

Dunno which protocols do you use, but I (using ICQ, MSN, Jabber and IRC)
am perfectly fine with gajim which supports only Jabber (the rest is
handled via jabber-to-something-other transports) and has IMHO the best
GUI, I've ever seen (also svn snapshot can render LaTeX formulas in
conversations which is a very valuable function to me) in instant
messengers. Also me thinks doing this pidgin->empathy change just before
beta freeze is like testing if the change is worth doing it or not.

Marin