Problems with SCSI Disk recognition in Fedora 10

Dov Zamir linux at zamirfamily.com
Tue Dec 16 05:52:40 UTC 2008

Hello Friends,

If this is not the correct place to discuss this problem, then please
accept my apologies, and kindly direct me to the correct list.

I have upgraded two of my computers from Fedora 9 to Fedora 10. The
first computer has several hard drives including SATA, ADA and an
external USB drive, the last is recognized by Fedora as a SCSI disk.
After updating this computer to F10, the boot sequence stopped while
mounting the disks. It seems that it was unable, at this point, to
recognize the UID it configured for the external disk. I commented out
the line for this disk in /etc/fstab and then successfully rebooted.
After the reboot, I removed the comment, mounet -a, and everything is
fine. The computer will not reboot without this line commented out.

A much more serious problem occurred when I upgraded a second computer.
This computer only has SCSI disks. After upgrade, the computer would not
boot, not recognizing the UID of its one and only LVM. I have not found
a solution or a workaround for this.

All my remaining computers have SCSI disks exclusively, so I am
reluctant to upgrade them.

Is this a known issue? Am I doing something wrong? This is a very
serious issue. I now have a piece of metal sitting on the floor, instead
of a web server, waiting for advice...

DZ