gdm version in Fedora 9

William Jon McCann mccann at jhu.edu
Wed Feb 20 17:08:33 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro> wrote:
> As I understand, the GNOME release team has decided to ship gdm version
>  2.20 in GNOME 2.22 due to a number of regression but the plan for Fedora
>   is still to have gdm 2.22 in F9, is this correct?

Yes, that is the plan.  Time was running short in the GNOME 2.22
schedule.  However, we have a bit more time in the F9 schedule so we
can solve the major regressions.

>  I ask this from the perspective of the Art Team, we approach a deadline
>  (in about a week) when the desktop theme is supposed to be complete so
>  is important for us to know *how* gdm will be themed.
>  My understanding is that theming in the new gdm is much simpler (just a
>  background image and the rest is done from Gtk+), could someone provide
>  additional info?

Right.  We run a gnome-settings-daemon in the greeter so that we pick
up the system gconf defaults for background, icon theme, metacity
theme, gtk theme, etc.  So, whatever work you do to get the desktop
themes tweaked will be inherited by the GDM greeter.

One advantage of this is that the transition from greeter to a default
session is pretty smooth.  The background doesn't change, the
icons/colors/etc don't change, and the gnome-panel slides into view.

If for some reason we want to customize the greeter we can still do
that.  One way is to do something similar to what we did for the
gnome-screensaver dialog.  We can modify the glade file and provide a
gtkrc.

One extra bit of theming/branding that I added upstream (not in
rawhide yet) is the ability to specify a logo icon name to use in
place of the computer monitor image on the greeter login dialog.  We
could add the the Fedora logo there for example.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Jon