musings on session service mgmt

Soeren Sandmann Pedersen sandmann at redhat.com
Fri Jan 4 19:54:35 UTC 2008

"Jeff Spaleta" <jspaleta at gmail.com> writes:

> Which makes the use of the phrase all that more interesting.. in a
> very off-topic sort of way.  Does US consumer culture have a
> ...monopoly... on widely adopted popular culture?

This particular game is so old that when it was introduced in Denmark
(I don't know exactly when, but definitely before the 1940's), it was
extensively localized. The name was changed to "Matador" and all the
property names were taken from Copenhagen street names. The board is
circular rather than square, and there is only one type of event
card.

Over time the prices in Matador have changed; in my parents' version
of the game you collect DKR 200 when you pass go, in the last version
I played, you collect DKR 4000. Another difference is that all the
pieces are cars - and always Volvos - in the Danish version.

I'm not sure the game would be changed that much if it were introduced
to Denmark today.

Soren