Re: How to remove some mounted partition icons?

Nils Philippsen wrote:
On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 21:46 -0600, Douglas McClendon wrote:
Jeff Spaleta wrote:
On Jan 7, 2008 4:28 PM, Douglas McClendon
<dmc fedora filteredperception org> wrote:
I had been happily just yanking usbsticks for a long time, though just
the other day I did manage to corrupt a vfat fs on one pretty badly.
But would you ever want to yank a  terabyte sized usb "stick" like
Maxtor OneTouch III Turbo 1TB External Drive?
Absolutely, if I trusted that the kernel code was smart enough to never result in a corrupted filesystem.

Hm. I had the impression that even Windows nowadays has icons to
"unmount" removable media (like USB sticks), possibly for a reason?

why I referenced win3.1

Anyway, you'd also have to trust that the hardware can cope with being
yanked, possibly in mid-operation.

Doesn't sound like an impossible engineering challenge to me. Also why I referenced waiting 3X the time you know that the OS config would allow writes to be in flight (or ye ol sync mount option).

Maybe it'll be a solved problem by 2030 or so...

-dmc