Flash videos in Fedora 9 via swfdec or proprietary plugin?

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 02:38:20 UTC 2008

On Jan 27, 2008 2:40 AM, Valent Turkovic <valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/1/27 Martin Sourada <martin.sourada at gmail.com>:

> > > Yes from livna. But one in Rawhide should work? As I said on swfdec
> > > mailing list it still doesn't work in rawhide even after installing
> > > all gstreamer plugins and gstreamer-ffmpeg
> > >
> > > Am I missing something?
> > >
> > > On Fedora 8 I tried also coping
> > > /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libswfdecmozilla.so from rawhide to fedora 8,
> > > just to see if it will work :)
> > > It didn't :)
> > >
> > > Valent.
> > >
> > > --
> > > http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
> > > linux, blog, anime, spirituality, windsurf, wireless
> > > registered as user #367004 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org.
> > > ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic
> > >

> > Dunno whats wrong with your config, but for me under F8 its working
> > flawlessly after I updated swfdec to rawhide version (the previous
> > worked as well, only without audio and some videos, mostly those from
> > youtube but accessed from elsewhere, didn't work).
> >
> > Here's what I've got (you can safely ignore the *-devel packages):
> > $ rpm -qa | grep swfdec
> > swfdec-mozilla-0.5.5-2.fc9
> > swfdec-gtk-0.5.5-2.fc9
> > swfdec-0.5.5-2.fc9
> >
> > $ rpm -qa | grep gstreamer
> > gstreamer-0.10.15-1.fc8
> > gstreamer-plugins-bad-0.10.5-12.lvn8
> > gstreamer-tools-0.10.15-1.fc8
> > gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10.15-1.fc8
> > gstreamer-plugins-ugly-0.10.6-5.lvn8
> > gstreamer-plugins-good-0.10.6-7.fc8
> > gstreamer-python-0.10.8-2.fc8
> > gstreamer-plugins-pulse-0.9.5-0.4.svn20070924.fc8
> > gstreamer-ffmpeg-0.10.3-1.lvn8
> > gstreamer-devel-0.10.15-1.fc8
> > gstreamer-plugins-base-devel-0.10.15-1.fc8
> >
> > Hope this helps you fix your problems. Also, I don't use the proprietary
> > plugin, so swfdec is the only plugin installed that can handle flash.
> >
> > Martin
> >
> > --
> >

> I just updated rawhide with latest updates and rebooted, and now it works.
> I'll test it a bit more and then report back.
>

> Valent.

Here is my report:

http://www.fedoratv.com - looks like it will start but it doesn't,
just shows "buffering"
http://www.ted.com - front page isn't rendered correctly, individual
videos just don't start
http://www.youtube.com/ - you need to click on video in order to see
controls but it works ok!
http://www.blip.tv - frontpage video works but other videos I click I
see totem plugin loading instead of swfdec
http://video.google.com/ - audio plays with black video screen
http://www.redtube.com NSFW - videos don't play (looks also like buffering)
http://www.metacafe.com - videos play but are wrong dimension,
sometimes with full width but only 2 pixels high?!?
http://www.videojug.com - totem plugin starts instead of swfdec ?!?
http://sclipo.com/ - doesn't work
http://www.dailymotion.com - works great
http://crackle.com - after click nothing happens, not even video
player controls show up
http://www.revver.com - video plays but video is smaller that it should be
http://www.veoh.com/ - video plays but "loading" message that shows
buffering stays overlayed over the video the whole time
http://video.msn.com - doesn't play video