making the i386 livecd fit

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 19:24:42 UTC 2008

On Jan 28, 2008 7:07 PM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
> In the past, any attempts to go to a subset of language have always met
> with strong resistance.

Here's the paradoxical reality of the situation.

1)The CD image is championed because DVD drives are not commonplace in
some parts of the world yet (ie not US/Western Europe).

plus

2)Holding all languages in the CD image makes it more difficult to
include useful applcations for everybody.

equals

3)The very people who need the CD image, are the people who also most
likely need the additional language support.

Here's is what I think we need to actual do.  We need to build a
process by which different language groups are encouraged to build and
host their own CD spins, instead of continuing to shove everything
into one CD image.  How do we do this?  How do we provide the correct
balance of infrastructure and services such that community members
will step up and produce and consume the localized CD spins?  How much
of the work can be automated with scripts which do nothing but pull
one language group out and stick another one in so that localized
versions of the same thing can be autogenerated?

I don't have any answers to these questions, but I'm pretty sure these
are the right questions to be asking instead of asking how do we fit
multiple locales onto a single CD spin.

-jef