Gimp vs GNU Image Manipulation Program

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 19:09:41 UTC 2008

2008/3/25 Martin Sourada <martin.sourada at gmail.com>:

>  On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 09:46 +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
>  > Matej Cepl wrote:
>  > > On 2008-03-24, 23:46 GMT, Brian Pepple wrote:
>  > >> I believe this is a question for upstream, since as far as I'm
>  > >> aware we don't modify the name in the supplied desktop file.
>  > >
>  > > OK, than IMHO this is stupid, but their problem.
>  >
>  > I'll argue this is *our* problem. The Fedora Desktop is not just a bunch
>  > of packages thrown together, it is supposed to be more than that: have
>  > consistency and a vision behind it.
>  >
>  > As a long time GIMP user, with my memory muscle trained to find it in
>  > the menu, it was a pain for me (and I sill have not recovered
>  > completely) to launch it, I still look for The Gimp and see GNU something.
>  >
>  > Here is how the Graphics menu looks on my F8 desktop:
>  > Agave
>  > FontForge
>  > Fyre
>  > GNU Image Manipulation Program
>  > gThumb Image Viewer
>  > Inkscape Vector Graphics Editor
>  > ScannerTool
>  >
>  > Quite inconsistent, but if I would try to apply some logic, it would
>  > look like the application name is "GNU" and the description is "Image
>  > Manipulation Program".
>  >
>  > --
>  > nicu :: http://nicubunu.ro :: http://nicubunu.blogspot.com
>  > Cool Fedora wallpapers: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/wallpapers/
>  > Open Clip Art Library: http://www.openclipart.org
>  > my Fedora stuff: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro
>  >
>  I'd prefer to have the long names in menu, consistently... I believe GNU
>  Image Manipulation Program is saner to have in menu then GIMP, but when
>  it changed it also gave me lot of pain and to see it changing again...
>  well... I got used to find this one by icon recently...
>
>  BUT, I believe, isn't the GNU Image Manipulation Program the official
>  long name for GIMP?
>
>  And yeah, a lot of windows users use gimp, but on the other side a lot
>  of linux users don't know about gimp. Therefore I think it's better to
>  use the long version - it actually tells what the program does and users
>  already familiar with gimp either know the long counterpart or are able
>  to find it looking at the icons...
>
>  Martin

I'm a linux only user and I find "GNU Image Manipulation..." a
non-sane name, as long as I know about Gimp and in all presentations
and tutorials the term that is used is Gimp. Look at book covers,
"Gimp book" not "Gnu image..." is on their covers, try google also...
let's be practical please.

Cheers,
Valent.

--