Gimp vs GNU Image Manipulation Program

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 09:09:04 UTC 2008

2008/3/26 Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com>:

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 12:23 AM, Valent Turkovic
> <valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:
> > My gut feeling tells me that they will tell that fedora can change the
> > name to gimp if that fits better, most upstream gnome people to who I
> > talked to told me that on such minor things gnome lets downstream
> > customize as they need for them.
> >
> > I'll talk to upstream and report back and tell you if my gut feeling
> > was spot on or wrong.
> >

> whether we are allowed to do it or not is not the point.
>
> The argue you made was about brand recognition. As a downstream, should we
> be telling the upstream project how their brand should be handled?  I really
> don't think so. We all recognize that brands have value because they are
> recognizable. But if a specific project wants to change their brand..that is
> THEIR choice..because its THEIR project.
>
> As distributors of 'well known' applications... we need to take our cues
> from the upstream project with regard to handling 'branding'. Perhaps the
> project leads for GIMP are actually trying to make an explicit effort to
> rebrand it so the non acronym becomes the recognized name. If so, then we
> should respect that.  If you want this changed... get the upstream project
> to revert back to using the GIMP as the name instead of the longer name in
> the desktop file.  For all we know this is a deliberate attempt to rebrand
> by the upstream project.

After speaking with upstream it seams that that is the case. They want
more recognition of the name "GNU Image Manipulation Program" and even
if I personally think that is wrong I respect their decision. Fedora
has "respect upstream" attitude so it should respect their decision...

Cheers,
Valent.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/