A new user management tool

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Thu May 22 21:09:04 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 16:52 -0400, Dan Winship wrote:
> Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > The main dialog
>
> Looks too much like the OS X one, particularly in the way that "Login
> Options" is in a place where it doesn't make sense. :)

Yeah. Thats only gimped in anyway, and won't work like that in a real
treeview.

> > The Email, Language and Location fields are here because they are
> > frequently useful...
>
> I assume "Location" will tie in in some way with the improved
> Location/Time Zone stuff?

You tell us :-) I don't know how much thought Jon has put into this
particular field...

> > The password dialog
>
> An alternate UI possibility would be to autogenerate a few passwords of
> different strength levels and put them directly in the actions list:
>
>     Choose a password now
>     Choose a password at next login
>     Use this random password: zintelforb
>     Use this random password: fas42Br0x
>     Use this random password: y8Tx$mrA
>     Allow login without a password
>
> I don't think "Disable this account" belongs in the password dialog,
> even though that's how it's implemented underneath.

Unless it is implemented via /usr/bin/nologin...but you have a point.

> > We've discussed ways to generate useful hints to go along with generated
> > passwords, including somewhat crazy ideas like computer­generated poetry
> > (cf gnoetry).
>
> Hm... how could that work though? Without knowing at least one "secret"
> about the user besides their password, how can you autogenerate a hint
> that will make sense to them (when they've forgotten their password),
> but not make just as much sense to anyone else?

It is a hint that helps you remember your password, not a
challenge/response pair to use instead of your password.
Anyway, I don't think generated hints are very high on the priority list
- it was just an idea that came up during discussion.