Voting considered harmful (Was: Re: Echo Icon Theme in F10?)

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 19:01:49 UTC 2008

> On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 18:04 +0000, Martin Sourada wrote:
> > No. It's not about adding value or directly competing with others. We
> > just want Fedora to be usable, look nice and have distinctive looks from
> > other distros.
>
> Why is looking different, at the icon level, a good thing?  Does it not
> just confuse the greater community?

Well, gnome and kde already look different on that level. Does that
confuse greater community? Echo is *just another* icon set that is
coincidentally developed by some members of the Art Team who'd like to
see it as a default icon theme Fedora wide (as opposed to gnome wide or
kde wide) when ready for that.

Does it bring anything to the wider upstream community? I hope that in
the long run it will ease icon themes creation process for others as
well (e.g. with helping with replacing unthemable icons by themable
ones). Also I hope it will emerge into cross desktop icon theme used by
much wider audience than just Fedora users.

Does it bring anything to Fedora user? Different, more lively, more
3D-like art. Perhaps wider coverage of Fedora specific stuff (but that
does not need to be limited to Echo). Is that a good thing? Seriously,
who is to decide that? Definitely not me. I believe Art and Desktop
Teams (and various other desktop SIGs when Echo gets selected for other
DE's than gnome) together have the right to do so.

If not, we'll continue to be just another alternative icon theme,
developed by some of the fedora artists ;-)

Martin