Re: Voting considered harmful (Was: Re: Echo Icon Theme in F10?)

On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 23:20 +0000, Martin Sourada wrote:
> I don't think that's the right question in case of art. Art is basically
> about doing something new, or improving something old, simply said. With
> Echo we are doing both - posing ourselves as bluecurve successor, using
> same metaphors as gnome or oxygen as much as possible (to not confuse
> user), but developing our own style. We are trying to make it default in
> Fedora, for one because we think it would improve Fedora looks, second
> we think users might profit from consistent icon set throughout whole
> distro (not in Fedora 10 yet, since KDE isn't covered enough),

Up until this point you had a pretty good answer to the question.

> third it
> is developed by people in Fedora Art Team and fourth, with every new
> release of Fedora there are questions why Echo is still not default,
> usually accompanied by "prediction" that it will always stay in the
> "next time" state ;-)

Those feel like "Because I did it", or "because we can" answers, not
really answers to the question.  But with the first set you actually
have a fairly good argument.  How the work you did can interact with
upstreams as well as accomplishing your goal is the interesting part.
This is what Fedora is really about.

Jesse Keating
Fedora -- FreedomĀ² is a feature!
identi.ca: http://identi.ca/jkeating