Repositioning the gdm greeter window

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Sun Oct 19 21:45:35 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 22:03 +0300, Axel Thimm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been less than successful in moving the greeter window, and I've
> tried a lot. I already spend half a day with changing the background
> :(
>
> It looks like I need some gtk+ themeing magic to do that, could
> someone please help out? Thanks!

No, theming has no say on window positions. The question is kinda hard
to answer without knowing how far you are willing to go...

It is certainly possible to patch gdm to make the window appear
somewhere else. As things currently stand, the greeter insists on
centering it.

You can use Alt+Left to move the window around at runtime (using the
standard metacity shortcut), but thats not very persistent.

It is also possible to replace metacity with a different wm in the login
session, that lets you override window positions.