Re: Repositioning the gdm greeter window

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 05:45:35PM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 22:03 +0300, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been less than successful in moving the greeter window, and I've
> > tried a lot. I already spend half a day with changing the background
> > :(
> >
> > It looks like I need some gtk+ themeing magic to do that, could
> > someone please help out? Thanks!
>
> No, theming has no say on window positions. The question is kinda hard
> to answer without knowing how far you are willing to go...
>
> It is certainly possible to patch gdm to make the window appear
> somewhere else. As things currently stand, the greeter insists on
> centering it.
>
> You can use Alt+Left to move the window around at runtime (using the
> standard metacity shortcut), but thats not very persistent.
>
> It is also possible to replace metacity with a different wm in the login
> session, that lets you override window positions.

gdm seems to support compiz instead of metacity. Would that give an
configuration option for the position?

I don't want to patch gdm, I was hoping it would be configurable like
in past days. How do all these million themes manage to reposition it?
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net