Desktop team meetings?

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Tue Sep 23 03:44:46 UTC 2008

> This availability helps for casual discussions but it is not possible
> for anybody to follow the discussions that happen there 24/7.

Nice try trying to imply that the conversations on #fedora-desktop
"casual talk". They're not.

> Having a
> predesignated particular time on regular intervals to make decisions
> means that others can hope to participate more when the conversations
> happen. It is the difference between hallway conversations and team
> meetings. This worked out very well other SIG's.

I repeat: It's my experience, and I believe others as well, that just
having the IRC channel and a low-traffic list like fedora-desktop-list
works just fine. Again, I don't think any weekly meeting would be
useful; if people want to get involved (and I'd encourage that), it's
very easy: use this mailing list or use the IRC channel.

I'm sorry if that makes it complicated for people who only wants to
"participate" in "decision making" at some weekly meeting without
actually doing any work or otherwise get involved. But it's probably
better that way.

> Also #fedora-desktop is the only irc channel that is in gimpnet instead
> of freenode.

I think the question of why #fedora-desktop is on gimpnet has come up
before so I'll try to repeat what I think the reason was: it's more
important to stay close to the upstream channels; it does happen, rather
frequently in fact, that people from other GNOME distros pop into
#fedora-desktop to ask questions or that people working on Fedora
desktop summon people to #fedora-desktop. We'd lose part of that synergy
if we were on freenode.

(Of course, needless to point out, we're also currently losing out on
making it harder for Fedora non-GNOME people to participate on
#fedora-desktop. However, that's a trade-off I'm comfortable with given
we ask people to get involved upstream and not downstream.)

> It would be better to move to freenode like all the other
> channels.

Nice try: you almost trick the reader into believing the only channels
worth anything are on Freenode and use that as the reason for moving
#fedora-desktop to freenode. There's a nice Latin term for this kind of
fallacy, try looking it up!

Good luck,
David