i686 (and likely x86_64) Live image not fitting on CD

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Sep 23 16:47:24 UTC 2008

2008/9/22 Brian Pepple <bpepple at fedoraproject.org>:

> If empathy didn't have a hard requires on some of it's plugins, like
> telepathy-haze (which pulls in libpurple) that would drop 20MB or more.
> IMO, the only hard-requires for empathy should probably be
> telepathy-gabble (XMMP) & telepathy-salut (local-link XMMP), the rest we
> should give a hard look at what we want to use a default in comps to
> reduce some of the bloat.

That would make it basically only useful for GTalk users which has
significant market share only in North America and parts of the Middle
East[1].
I don't think there is any kind of upstream story for how you install
plugins outside of dropping to a terminal and using yum/apt-get
either.

[1] http://billionsconnected.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/global_im_market_share_stats_july_08.pdf