Echo vs the destkop

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Tue Sep 23 21:53:26 UTC 2008

When we approved Echo as the default icon theme for F10, I was under the
assumption that this was already more or less known as a feature to the
Desktop group, and they were OK with the coverage provided and the
experience given. Is that the case?

Looking at the desktop now (beta), I see:

- at least three different icon perspectives in the stock menus
  (echo, 'stock', bluecurve)
- nearly all 'upstream' gnome apps using non-echo style icons
- an immediate disconnect between the perspective of the stock
  icons and the perspective of the main menu logo

It also appears to me that the Echo icons scale to menu size I'm
using (24) much worse than the prior icons.

Are we planning to address these issues, either by increasing the
Echo icon coverage, or changing various apps to point to system
icons provided by Echo?

Bill