Replacing Tomboy with Gnote in Fedora GNOME group

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Mon Apr 13 15:43:12 UTC 2009

> Hi,
>
> I just packaged and pushed in Gnote, a a port of Tomboy to C++ for
> rawhide (and Fedora 10), a couple of days back. Gnote is compatible with
> Tomboy and you can just cp .tomboy to .gnote and use the notes. The user
> interface is exactly the same.
>
> The default GNOME group includes Tomboy which pulls in a considerably
> large number of dependencies. A quick test on a system pulls in 34 MB
> worth of dependencies (including 4.6 MB for Tomboy alone), while a
> install of Gnote pulls in just 582kb (I have not counted gtkmm since it
> is already required by gnome-system-monitor). Tomboy is not installed on
> the live cd already due to lack of space. Perhaps we can squeeze in
> Gnote as a replacement for Tomboy in the Fedora GNOME group?

Longer-term, this may be a possibility. Right now, it is a) late for F11
and (freezing in a day) b) early for gnote (just having seen its very
first release) to replace a default component in the Fedora desktop.

Some other notes:

- We're using tomboy as an applet, which gnote currently does not
support. I'm far from a notification area purist, but I do think that a
note-taking application has no place in it...

- If we are talking about replacing tomboy with gnote, we need to have
some data migration that is more automatic that 'open terminal,
cp .tomboy .gnote'.

- While gnote on the surface looks like a clone of tomboy, if you look
at the addins that come with tomboy, you'll probably find that gnote is
not yet a full replacement for tomboy power users (it certainly works
fine for my tomboy use...).

So, I'd say, lets look at this for F12. If gnote stays alive for that
long, it may be a suitable replacement at that point.

Matthias