Dropping Gimp from the live cd

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Wed Aug 5 14:46:38 UTC 2009

On 08/05/2009 05:18 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> I could substitute quite a lot of random applications for "Gimp" above
> and that argument would be the same -- which probably means it's not a
> very strong one.  The Desktop Live CD has sufficient applications for
> someone to browse the web; retrieve, read, and send email; create
> business documents; and view and organize media.  And it has support
> for searching and later installing additional software.

I also have on my netbook something which has grow-up from a Desktop
spin (with a ton of additional yummed stuff) but I see us using
promoting the CD to a) users familiar with Live CDs from another
distros, who expect a certain functionality OOTB and b) people new to
Linux, not knowledgeable about the inner working of the distro and
supposed to see Linux is better.

If those people are not the target of the spin, then perfectly fine.
Only it must not be the recommended download or the disc we give away at
events.

I would argue a spin intended to be a showcase must have *more*
applications installed by default but I understand the space limitations
(however, 1 GB USB sticks may be enough).