Logging into GNOME as root

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Wed Dec 9 07:19:59 UTC 2009

On 12/08/2009 10:42 PM, David Zeuthen wrote:

>   3. We probably need to do an even better job of discouraging
>      people logging in as root - I'm thinking we should show
>      a dialog explaining why this is bad and also show a red
>      background or something. Or maybe refuse to start gnome-session
>      altogether.

I think the key here is warning but without getting too annoying.
Refusing to start gnome-session will most likely make the person use
another DE instead, Xfce or something.

I think doing something like Windows XP is safe mode is OK: display a
warning dialog after login (maybe go the extra mile and provide a
checkbox "I uderstand I am doing, do not show it again") and a text (a
watermark?) over the background with "you are running as root".

>      Currently (rawhide) I don't get any warnings whatsoever if I log
>      into VT1 as root on a machine in run level 3 and type 'startx'. I
>      just get a stock GNOME desktop.

If someone goes to the steps of switching to run level 3 and running
'startx' by hand, you can assume he has a good understanding of what
he's doing and will be able to bypass any blockers.

>      Of course we could just say "don't use startx" but that's not how
>      things work (since we still ship startx) and I don't see that
>      changing. I don't regard "remove / neuter startx" as a fight worth
>      fighting either.

I agree, there are still legit uses for startx.