Focus Follows Mouse

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Mon Dec 21 08:39:55 UTC 2009

On 12/20/2009 11:09 PM, Rob Riggs wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is an editorial comment for the Fedora desktop developers.
>
> I've just done my first Fedora install since 8 or 9 with Fedora 12.
> Why is it now so difficult to set up "focus follows mouse" under
> Gnome?  Click to focus is just annoying.  It sucked for me when "click
> to focus" became the default, but I could live with finding the
> desktop preference and setting it.  But it makes this user really
> annoyed (Grrr!) that I have to ask about it on some mailing list,
> install an obscure package, and change the setting.  I get the feeling
> the the desktop developers think they know better than the user.
>
> Look, I *can* work either way -- I live with "focus follows mouse" on
> Windows.  But this is one of the key reasons that Linux is my primary
> desktop -- it sucks less and "focus follows mouse" is one of the big
> reasons for that, especially when using multiple desktops.  Point and
> type -- not point, click, type.  (Yes, I know it can be changed on
> Windows.)  It is especially annoying when not only does focus require
> a click, but that click also raises the window.  I want focus and
> raising to be separate operations.  There are plenty of operations
> that work much better with the focus window not being on top of the
> window stack.  Forcing the window I want on top is a PITA that focus
> follows mouse avoids.
>
> I don't care to impose my preferences on anyone.  I am not asking for
> "focus follows mouse" to be the default (though that would be my
> preference).  But please make it easy to set my preferences.  Please
> bring a little Christmas cheer to the Gnome world and make "Window
> Preferences" part of the default Gnome desktop installation again!

On F11 it's no harder then System --> Preference --> Windows <click>
Select windows when mouse is over them..

If it's not in the menu in F12 on you system you can either go System
--> Administration and type control-center-extra hash it and apply or
just open up a terminal and type gnome-window-properties and it should
ask you to install it if it's not installed on your system.

JBG