Linux users want better desktop performance (Screw data. Prioritize code)

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Tue Feb 17 20:40:56 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 20:19 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> http://rudd-o.com/en/linux-and-free-software/tales-from-responsivenessland-why-linux-feels-slow-and-how-to-fix-that
>
> What is you comment?

If we really thought this was true, it would be straightforward enough
to bump the mlock limits for users and get some of the high-touch apps
to lock their text sections.  I can add this to the X server tomorrow
trivially even without that (the joys of being root).

I'm not _that_ convinced.  I mean, the way to measure this is to look at
the io trace hooks and see what you end up reading in.  I'd be mildly
surprised if it was text sections.

- ajax