Linux users want better desktop performance (Screw data. Prioritize code)

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Feb 18 00:11:32 UTC 2009

Roy Bynum wrote:
> I may be totally "out in the weeds" with this comment, but here goes.
> Is is possible to set up a small app that would maintain a record of the
> swap/buffer usage patterns and set up a "sliding scale" that would move
> the swap priority based on the usage pattern of the logged in user?

Good question. I don't know enough if it can track usage patterns, but
my guess is it could. (At least, if running as root; if not root I think
it could only read the memory of processes belonging to the effective
user, but since you say it should track that users' stuff anyway I think
that's a non-issue. That said...) AFAIK the ratio is adjustable in
real-time. (...it might need to be root to tweak the ratio, or else have
an suid helper program. The latter is probably better... although it's
probably better to make the whole thing run as root so it is
system-wide. For single-user systems, it will mostly track the logged-in
user anyway, but also account for system daemons. For multi-user
systems, presumably you don't want to treat one user preferentially. And
surely you don't want multiple instances running and contending on what
to make the ratio.)

Short answer: I think it's possible.

Usage patterns are a function of user /and time/. I assume such a
program could be tuned to handle varying usage patterns as well.

--
Matthew
If a signature